Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Perfect NYC Day

Jamming as many fantastic NYC activities into a single day with mon amour is absolutely one of my favorite things in the world.  This time, goals consisted of shopping (duh), lunch in Little Italy, spending time with my good friend and fabulous accessories designer Afaf, window shopping on 5th and kicking back at a jazz club to cap off the night.  

Here I am, in my bright red cloche, having just enjoyed a scrumptious three-course lunch in Little Italy.

After lunch, I headed to one of my most favorite places on Earth, Forever XXI in Times Square.  Four enormous floors of cheap, trendy, throw-away fashion and I can't get enough! This particular trip it was RIDICULOUSLY crowded (as you can see) so I didn’t scour as thoroughly as I normally would. However, it provided the perfect setting for meeting up with my doll Afaf.  She just moved to the city from Raleigh to start her new job as an accessories designer. Yeah, the bitch made it, but more about that in later posts. Having rejoiced in the lingerie department of Forever for a while, we met back up with mon amour and headed for 5th. To my utter shock and surprise, this would be Afaf’s first experience salivating over the stunning fantasies that are the windows of 5th Avenue.



So before I continue, I have to admit to being a bad journalist here and not always documenting which store had which window and who designed what in some cases but I have two excuses. A) I’m little more than a crazed maniac when window shopping on 5th, and B) It was damn cold so I was snapping and moving as quickly as possible.  Afaf, if you’re reading this and you remember, help a sista out and comment.
Oh, and one more thing.  The following pictures are completely vain attempts at capturing the absolute perfection I witnessed that night. I only had my iPhone, and I must say, the Tiffany’s pictures are especially pitiful.  
First stop, Tiffany’s. What can I say? These miniature windows ripped the heart right out of my chest and threw it into a dazzling blender. I was completely floored at the artist’s ability to so accurately pinpoint the exact nerve in a woman’s body that tells the brain “I need diamonds!!!!” Despite the fact that I’m in my twenties and have been in love for over 7 years with my perfect match, I, in all honesty, have no desire to do the whole engagement/marriage thing for a while.  But in that moment, when I feasted my eyes upon that engagement ring between that shadowy couple, it was as though every cell in my body said “Get engaged! Get an engagement ring! Live happily ever after!!!!” But really though, I’m in no hurry. Tiffany’s is just REALLY, REALLY good at what they do. 

I think what I loved most about the rest of the miniature Tiffany’s windows is how they set up these incredibly lavish and romantic settings of Christmas in New York and placed the most stunning jewels where the people should be. Lounging on a chaise longue, on the steps of a walk-up apartment. The ring on that chair beside the cracked door to the Christmas tree reminds me so much of Clara at the beginning The Nutcracker, waiting for the festivities to begin. I have to hand it to these people for making me feel a human connection to their jewelry.


 

Then, I came across this bitch, lounging under the table, and her friend, on top of it.  The most glamorous drunks I’ve ever seen. I love the “I don’t give a shit, I’m rich” message these plastic women exude. I wanna be at THAT party someday.  Oh! And the other one with the bob, in that flawless evening gown. A Zuhair Murad, by the looks of it. What a thorough understanding of the female body those lines portray. Just breathtaking. 

 
Aaahhhh Chanel. Funny how you can read Karl’s wacky aesthetic like a book in these girls. The ponytails, the big bows, and the overall Asian-feel. This window got Afaf and I talking about how China really is taking over – our manufacturing, our debt, and now our fashion. Interesting. 

 

Stepping into Henri Bendel, we found ourselves under this magical tree of glamour and dug right into the garden of fabulous jewels below.  We shopped for cosmetics and mannequin divas in red gowns toasted to the New Year. This is what I call heaven.



Accessories are my food.


  
I've never seen a bag that looks like it needs to be conditioned and brushed before, and I can't decide if I love it or hate it! It startled me, and I think that's why I like this wild Fendi bag.


I realize this is the drag queen inside me speaking, but I just love this pose! She's having SO much more fun than you!

 
 Every year, Bergdorf Goodman incorporates animals in fun and unexpected ways into their window displays. Every year, I want to jump inside these perfect little worlds and live forever.

 



  

Bergdorf Goodman was dripping with vintage glamour and I couldn't be happier.

 


Those are all miniature dolls behind the mannequins of different sizes, just breathtaking.


Our feet started to go numb towards the end of our winter stroll, so we headed for Afaf's apartment for green tea and soy bacon.  On the way, we took a super secret shortcut beneath Lincoln Center and came across beautiful horses. Apparently they were in holding for an opera later on that night. Ya know, opera horses walking around in a parking garage at night, NBD.





 After defrosting at Afaf's, we headed to Jazz Standard to see the incredible, 84-year-old jazz drummer Jimmy Cobb and the Kind of Blue Band.  They played Miles Davis tunes all night- the perfect way to end an inspiring day in my favorite city.

No comments:

Post a Comment